Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Amateur Bee Removal Attempt #1 = Epic Fail

The first attempt the wrangle the swarm of bees who've decided to move into my attic was a bust. The amateur bee keeper told me to put a box (that I had to swipe from school at 9:30 pm) with a plateful of honey in it near the hive and it would attract the swarm. Day #2 and not one darn bee in that box! Plus, the man did not show up last night as he said he would. It was a silly plan.

On to Plan B.

I emailed a professional beekeeper initially but didn't hear back until yesterday afternoon. It seems he's going out of town this week but wants the bees and will call back when he returns. I feel a little better letting a pro handle the situation. He seems to know what he's talking about and has the equipment to remove and relocate the bees.

Even though I am pretty much terrified of flying, stinging insects, as much research as I've done on honey bees, I am now a little sad that we are ill- equipped to raise them ourselves. I guess I'll just stick to the grocery store for my honey supply.

No comments: