Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Pantry Door Makeover Sneak Peek

I totally blame Pinterest for my recent creativity binge.  I saw this photo and decided that our pantry door would make a fantastic chalkboard.


Plus, my pantry door was looking a little grimy and nothing coneals grim like black paint and chalk dust.

I went to Home Depot and picked up a quart can of black chalkboard paint for $10 and some fine sanding pads for the electric sander, and a dense foam roller.  I should have done my homework first because we already had the sanding pads and a roller. $10 wasted.  Doh! 

Home Depot only had two types of Rust-oleum chalkboard paint, black and white, which can be tinted to the color of your choice.  I thought about using this idea from Martha, but I didn't think it would be as practical for my small space.  I went with black because it works nicely with the dark slate tiles in my kitchen, and it hides the grime. :)


First, I sanded down the existing brushmarks on my pantry door. I decided to only paint the front.  Sanding was pretty messy and covered my whole kitchen in a layer of fine dust.  I would advise covering everything with a drop cloth if you don't want to scrub the kitchen.

Then I started rolling on the first coat.  I didn't get it very even and it was rough in some places, so I had to wait for it to dry (overnight because I started this project around 8:00pm). I think the roughness was due to my attempt to add more paint to the tacky first coat.

Before I started painting this morning, I sanded down the rough areas. Then I slapped on another coat and voila!
Excuse the mess and painter's tape. You get the idea. :)

All I need to do is"condition" it with a layer of chalk after three days, and I will have a highly functional chalkboard in my kitchen. It should lighten up a little once it gets all chalked up.  My mom suggested doing the door to the garage, which is smart. Maybe I'll do that one too if this one works out.

Consider this a sneak peak. I'll post a final product picture once I get it "conditioned" and my kitchen cleaned. :)  I was just so excited to share. I need to think about where/how to put a chalk holder and eraser. Hmm. Maybe I should have put a few coats of magnetic paint on there first.