Monday, January 12, 2009

Week 1 of the Austerity Program

Well, considering I am suppressing two "addictions" at once (shopping and eating), it hasn't been the best week of my life, but it was definitely not the worst!


As part of our New Year's Resolution Joe and I agreed to spend only on necessities for a month and see how much we manage to save. So far, so good...we've managed to buy only gas and grocery. I guess I am still thinking in terms of college when I could go to HEB and buy a weeks worth of grub for $20...ah Lipton noodles, Tostino's pizzas, and Diet Dr. B. But I am always stunned at how much groceries cost for a week (around $130)...and they never last and I end up making a grocery run later in the week which ends up being another $30-$40. Now that we're eating 3 homemade meals plus snacks, we're using all of the groceries and more. Plus, we're eating a lot of proteins, and fresh veggies, and none of the cheaper starchy foods yet, so that makes the bill a bit higher.


I only cheated once by stopping at Starbucks for a tall skinny latte before hitting the grocery store but really I think it probably saved me money in the end since I wasn't shopping on an empty stomach...that's how I'll rationalize it. :)


South Beach wise...I am also doing well. No indescretions to report but I did have a dream about eating a glazed doughnut. Is that weird? I feel like Homer Simpson.
How am I coping with all of that salad I've been eating lately? I have never been able to find a store bought dressing that tasted homemade but I finally found one that I LOVE! Apparently everyone else loves Garlic Expressions too, because twice at both the Ft. Worth and Dallas Central Markets I've gone to pick up a bottle and it was completely sold out! My mom uses it so much that she buys 4 bottles at a time. I noticed they sell it by the case on their website so I may have to buy in bulk! Yes, it's that good.

The best salad dressing EVER!

2 comments:

Kiki said...

Mmm... forbidden doughnut. Gotta love Homer. Did you read the piece on dropping out of consumerism in the DMN news Sunday? Here is the link. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/011109dngdconsumerdropouts_hp.1b0fbf58.html

Sarah said...

Yes, I did read that article. I was hoping to hear her say they saved mega bucks...it is good to know that they were able to stick with it for the most part.