Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Signs of the Season


I know, I know...I take and post way too many nature photos...but I am just weird like that.

Every fall I tell myself that I will take pictures of the tree full of persimmons at my parents' house, and every year the fruit falls off before I remember to capture it on film.
Timing is key. I personally think that the tree is the most interesting when all of the leaves have fallen, leaving bare limbs and the bright fruit.

A couple of weeks ago the tree still had leaves. I joked with my dad that he needed to leave some fruit on the tree so I could take pictures once the leaves fell off. When we visited last weekend he made it a point to remind me to take pictures (there's still a patch of leaves at the top).

He's VERY proud of his persimmon tree because of the high price the fruit brings at the grocery store. He's also the only person I know that actually likes to eat said fruit. As beautiful as they are, there's something about the texture that I do not find appealing.
So here they are in all of their unedited glory.

While I don't find them tasty, I do like to use them as decoration. (They match my mixer!)


2 comments:

Kara said...

i don't think i've ever tried a persimmon...but they sure look purty in pictures!
when i first opened the page, i thought they were pumpkins growing on the tree and i was really confused!

Kiki said...

Ditto everything she said!
Nice pics.