Sunday, December 27, 2009

Gone but Not Forgotten

Christmas updates are coming soon, but last night while I was lying awake waiting for my feet to thaw out, I started thinking about all the crap I ate over the Holidays, which reminded me of bygone days of college where one can eat as much junkfood as she likes and the metabolism fairy takes care of the rest...which led me to think about meal plans...which reminded me about how I used to spend my Bevo Bucks on all kinds of junk at the Jester Hall store.

Can anyone say Ben & Jerry's? I had never even eaten Ben & Jerry's until I tried the heavenly Urban Jumble flavor, and then I was hooked for life.
Thank goodness I worked as a messenger traipsing the Capitol complex, otherwise I that "Freshman 15" would have materialized in college..rather than the "Happily Ever After 20" upon my marriage to Joe.

At some point towards the end of my Sophomore year, Urban Jumble was added to the Ben & Jerry's Flavor Graveyard! Gasp! No more Urban Jumble of "chocolate and coconut ice creams mingled with white and dark chocolaty chunks, pecans, and roasted almonds."
I still look in grocery store freezers to this day for my beloved ice cream...and I don't even like ice cream... so that's saying a lot. You bet I made my dismay evident at the Ben & Jerry's "Resurrect My Favorite Flavor" webpage. Alas, it was all in vain. :'(
May you rest in peace UJ; we had many delightful memories together at the Jester dormitory at University of Texas. I hope to reunite with you someday. (That's not me, but I am giddy that someone took this photo! Aside from the pageboy haircut, it does look a lot like me. lol)

As my feet continued to thaw, I thought to myself..."self...you shall write a blog about Urban Jumble and other products that have, or are going the way of the Dodo."

In my walk down memory lane, I remembered other discontinued loves:
Limited edition MAC eyeshadow shades in "Sensualize" and "Wishful"
Oh how I love thee. Sadly, and a little unsanitarily, I still own and use (sparingly) remnants of these two, long after the recommended 6 month lifespan of cosmetics. Whatev!
Does anyone really toss their cosmetics at the six month mark? I mean, unless it gets crusty or someone with herpes of the eye used your stuff, do you mark your calendar to trash your makeup? If you paid a crap load of money for a limited edition shade that was made for you, I'll bet you don't. Don't judge me! (You can, however, go to Ebay and buy me these discontinued lovelies..which people are scalping these days... $39? Really? That's what you're going with?!) What? Go to Sephora and match the same color in a different brand you say? You better believe I've tried to buy similar shades, but none can hold a candle to these two.
RIP

OPI Original release "My Private Jet" nail color
I love love love this color and my nail salon has less than a quarter of a bottle left.

Having only discovered this recently, I quickly found out how coveted this color release is when I tried to buy it on Ebay...after having pored over the OPI display at Ulta. Apparently, the newer, more readily avaliable versions of MPJ don't have the holographic prism quality but a silvery sparkle instead. After searching online, I found that there is quite a controversy over it among diehard OPI nailpolish fanatics.

Again, people are scalping this original version online for an obscene amount of money. Dare I pay $20 for a bottle of nail polish? It is pretty fab. I tried to capture the subtle rainbow quality to it in the photos. At first glance it appears dark gray. The closeup shows a bit more of the holographic colors.

Also making my list is a fabulous article of clothing featuring not only leopard print, but bling...my chartreuse Victoria's Secret Very Sexy bra. It is not yet gone, but its days are numbered.

If I could wear it over my clothes, I would. I should have bought multiples of the same color. Instead I have to keep this bra in light rotation with my other less glamorous ones, take it off immediately upon arriving home from work, and wash it as little and with as much care possible. What ever will I do when I have to decommission this thing? I've had one and a half, perhaps two years with it, thus finding another exactly like it will be next to impossible. :( Maybe I shouldn't get so attached. LOL

It is glorious!

No comments: