Thursday, July 15, 2010

Handmade Treasures & Rosa

Teaching summer school, chasing puppies, and evening college classes are keeping me pretty busy as of late, so that's my excuse for the lack of blogging this week. However, I wanted to share a little treat someone gave me. Yesterday I received a lovely gift from one of my aunts. She is a talented crocheter and made me a "TCU purple" afghan with grape hyacinth bouquets in the pattern. She called me about a month ago and asked what my favorite color is. I adore it! It is lovely, practical, and enduring. Every time I use it I will think of the love that went into creating it. Handmade gifts are special like that.
Within the last couple of years, I decided I want to learn how to crochet. In fact, I refuse to buy any knitted blankets or throws from Pottery Barn or Crate & Barrel because I always think--I could make that for much cheaper than what they want for this blanket! Guess I'd better get on it!

My grandmother made afghans when I was growing up, and we dragged them out for sleepovers or when we just needed some extra warmth in colder months. She taught me how to knit when I was much younger, but it was only for a few minutes on an afghan she'd been working on. I'd have no idea where to even start if I attempted it now. My aunt offered to teach me, and I think I am going to take her up on it.

On a totally unrelated note: I wanted to update y'all on the Kiva.org loan I made back in December to a Peruvian, lady-entrepreneur named Rosa. She paid lenders back months earlier than the term of the loan. Yay, Rosa! Granted, these are micro loans, and it was only $25, but I was still pleasantly surprised and genuinely happy for Rosa. And so, today, I found another Peruvian lady (Maria Teresa) to help out through Kiva. I need to pony up some more money to help out others because $25 is really piddly.

No comments: