Thursday, June 3, 2010

Survival

Aside from getting splashed with grody road water by a passing car as I waited in the median to get back to my vehicle, my first night of school went well. My first task for Survival Lit. is to write an 8-10 page personal survival story. Given the extreme nature of the stories we've been assigned to read, anything I could have possibly gone through seems a bit trite in comparison. I do have a couple of ideas but they certainly aren't as dramatic as surviving a plane crash in the Andes or scouring the burnt countryside for food and water post-apocalypse.

I've had a pretty uneventful life in that regard, and up until now, I've considered myself lucky. Now I feel a bit pathetic and will most likely need to resort to embellishment to create a compelling story. Hmmm it seems I've doled out this advice to my own students.

How about you? Have you ever faced a life and death situation?

No comments: