Saturday, December 13, 2008

One of THOSE People



I don't have any human children, so my dogs get the brunt of my half-arsed maternal instinct. When I bought Phoebe, the breeder had high hopes for her saying that she was a show prospect and that she would like that I'd show her to help promote her kennel and bloodlines. I am sure you could imagine my reluctance to do so.




Well, I decided to do some recon and went to a dog show. You know, just some info gathering. I was pretty much petrified after seeing some behind the scenes stuff. Don't get me wrong, the dog show people are so so nice, but I just don't know that I could ever be that into my dogs. The amount of work that goes into it is unimaginable. Several months passed.




With some prodding from the breeder with whom I've kept contact, I decided to enter Phoebe into a show. I couldn't do it blindly, so I had to take her to a class to figure out which way to turn and how to "stack" her on the judge's table since I would be handling her in the ring. It's like charm school for dogs and I was the pageant mom. I felt like a fish out of water.




I did show her and she came in second place...out of two. haha She got a lovely red ribbon as consolation. I was told that she was better in confirmation, but was obviously not behaving like a seasoned show dog. Now I have the choice to keep showing her, or just keep putting cute little sweaters and bows on her. I must admit I am torn. I have decided that if I continue to show her, I would definitely hire a handler. I am not cut out for pageant life!
I think the look says it all!

2 comments:

Kiki said...

Hilarious. Have you seen Best in Show?

Sarah said...

Yes...I have. Some of the people are that intense. I witnessed a 300 lb man do the "Tiger Woods fist pump" after his yorkie won.