Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Stuff of Legends

Yes, that's what I'm calling it....The Great Snow Storm of 2010...because it will be legendary. I will tell my grandchildren about the day it snowed a foot in Dallas, Texas. lol

When we woke up to a couple of inches of snow on the ground Thursday morning, I thought that would be about it. Always a skeptic...that's me. I went to school and it kept snowing steadily, and I waited just as anxiously as my students for the administrators to call an early release. They were so excited, and I was glad to have a window from which to watch the snow fall in big, fat flakes.

They are 15 and 16 years old and sometimes I forget how wide-eyed and innocent they can be. Many of them have never seen much more than a sprinkling of snow and I suppose that could have created some anxiety watching the snow fall incessantly and pile up.
Student: "Do you think we're going to get snowed in and be stuck here at school?"

Me: "Lord, I hope not."
Student: "But do you think it is possible?"

Me: "No."
Student: "Whew. Ok, good."

We ended up getting out at 1:45. It took a good hour for the parking lot to clear of students and it was a frightening scene indeed. Tires were spinning...kids darting between cars...I watched from my window and prayed they all made it home in one piece. I headed home to curl up under a blanket with Harry and Pheebs and watched a few episodes of Mad Men.

About 6:00 Joe called and asked if I would come help him and a co-worker who were stuck on the driveway to the KXAS transmitter in Cedar Hill. I have to admit, I felt pretty important and glad my gas guzzling SUV's 4WD was good for something, after all! I was also a smidge smug because had I told Joe to take it to work rather than his Civic that morning. I love it when I'm right. hehehe


Who would have ever thought we'd get this much snow?! We got around 11 inches here...the likes of which I've never known in Dallas, and may never see again! It's 2 days later and my yard is still covered. We only lost a couple of limbs from a pine tree in the back yard. I heard a loud pop in just as I was drifting off to sleep Thursday night, and figured that's what it was. My beloved pecan tree lives to see another day.

I had to get out of the house today. I was getting stir crazy and I needed to get a few grocery items for our Valentine's dinner tomorrow.

After braving the Central Market crowd on Valentine's day last year, I decided I'd give the new Lakewood Whole Foods a go this time.

I heart Whole Foods! It was busy, but not insane. It's not as well appointed produce wise as CM, but my goodness, it had everything I needed and more. I bought a "Sweetheart" cut ribeye for our protein, and I think I'm going to make some fancy Top Chef mac and cheese, and/or either roast or mash some German Butterball potatoes. Mmm carbs. I got some zuchs and yellow squash for some color. hehe Speaking of Top Chef...we made a heart shaped puff pastry topped with chocolate mousse and a drizzle of raspberry puree for our V-Day dessert last year, and it was soooo good! I am going to make it again this year...if I can find the recipe. :( If not, I'll just wing it. I remember it being fairly simple. Guess I'll find out!

And Jeremy, the wine you bought us is the only one left and I think it will go perfectly with dinner I have planned. It's been taunting me from the wine fridge since Christmas. Wish we could have enjoyed it with you when you were in town.

My Valentine's Day will consist of a mani and pedi (Joe's present to me...he just doesn't know it yet) and cooking a special meal with Joe. That's a pretty good day in my book!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL... That is great I'm glad you guys get to enjoy that today. I couldn't think of a better day, other than when i was there of course. Take care of eachother. I love and miss you both. Happy VD!