Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Weekend

Saturday I dropped off a very rotund Phoebe at the breeder's house where she will whelp and stay until I am finished with school on June 4. I was so sad packing up her bag and driving her to Rockwall. Though, after dropping her off, I felt relieved. I would have worried about her being alone all day at my house this week. The breeder has been raising yorkies for years, so I know that she is in excellent care. Xray results and puppy count should be coming soon. I am now betting there are three puppies. May 18th is the big day. I am hoping that it all goes smoothly and Phoebe is a good mom.

Speaking of good moms... this is how my mom wanted to spend her Mother's Day. Swearing off consumer holidays and mowing her pasture. We brought her some plants and washed her car for her in spite of it. :)
While my mom mowed and my dad and Joe trimmed trees, I wandered around the pasture in my flipflops and bermuda shorts, camera in tow, looking like a tourist and cataloging the flora and fauna of Hart Ranch.

.These are dewberries, and I ate them right off the spiney brambles. Didn't wash 'em or nuthin'.

I also ate wild mulberries from a tree in the back forty. They were deliciously sweet. My dad told me a story of how he used to eat them off of his grandparents' tree when he was a boy growing up in Ovilla. Joe was a weenie and made up a lame-o excuse about potential allergies. But I figured if my dad lived, so would I. I like to live dangerously. What can I say?

Speaking of danger...this guy was hanging out on the grill cover. My mom noticed it when she was putting it back on the grill. She left him alone and let me take pictures with every intention of killing him when I was done. He was gone when she came back for him. It's my zodiac sign. The elusive and mysterious Scorpion. hehe


This was pretty and it really bothers me that I can't think of what it is called. I should have been a botanist.

This is larkspur growing next to a barrel my mom uses to train horses for barrel races. I thought it was a neat contrast.

And now, beautiful and dangerous: bull nettle. While I've never experienced the wrath of this guy, I hear it burns pretty badly.


After a nice weekend in the country such as this one, I am ready to sell everything and buy some acreage "an' live off the fatta the lan'." Me, Joe, Harry and my new herd of yorkies. Sounds good. You can come visit us.

No comments: