Sunday, December 19, 2010

Bake-O-Rama-Lama-Ding-Dong

This week, my mother, aunt, (and anyone else who wants to make Christmas treats) will converge at the casa de Arnold for the first annual baking extravaganza. Because I have a compulsion to sew and because I'm probably creeping out all of my friends with the miscellaneous kinder-kitsch I've created lately...I decided to bust out the ol' apron patterns and make some seasonal aprons. Might as well get my money's worth!

First, I made one for my aunt. After my first painstaking apron experience, I was feeling a little rebellious and didn't follow the directions exactly. I must admit this apron has a lot of imperfections. But I figure that it just needs to hold together for a few hours, and I can make her a new one next year.

The black jingle bobs, or whatever they're called, were a last minute addition to hide some of my flubs. I like jingle bobs. They remind me of the car from Cheech n Chong's Up in Smoke. Maybe I'll add some to the Acura. Perhaps one of those little chain link steering wheels, too.
Actually, jingle bobs are little dangly things that hang from fancy spurs and make them jingle with each boot-step. My dad is a collector of old spurs, and I think he told me that. But I could be making that up.

Next, I made my apron, which I should have done first to work out the kinks. I think it turned out pretty cute. Joe made the call to use brown bias tape instead of pink. Good call, Joe!

There are still lots of imperfections... mostly due to my inability to sew in a straight line and lack of desire to follow all the rules all of the time. In other words, don't look for my stuff on Etsy any time soon.

Tomorrow, I'll finish up my mom's apron and post pictures.

Now I'm off to read some Sedaris. I purchased three of his books this weekend and hope I can squeeze in a couple over the break.

Oh, and I know what I'm getting for Christmas...and I might need a date. I'll explain later.

No comments: