Saturday, September 11, 2010

Busy Busy, Baby!

Sorry for my lack of blogging lately. I have been busy with back to school and dealing with the tragic and untimely death of our poor Harry boy. He was snatched up by a coyote when Joe let him out on the morning of September 1. It was the perfect storm. That is all I can say. He was the sweetest, most cuddly dog and we are definitely feeling the void. Oskar is keeping us laughing though. Harry taught him his signature "Boing" move, so he lives on through Oskar.
Look at this sweet face...
(We are fencing in a part of our yard for the safety of Oskar and Pheebs and peace of mind.)

In happier news, mycousinamanda is having a baby girl! Yay! She's on her way back to the states from Japan as I type, and we will host a baby shower for her and sweet baby Maia. I love this baby so much already.

I was feeling crafty and wanted to make a diaper cake to use as a shower decoration and gift. After a little research on good ol' Google, I found several different methods and supply lists and went shopping. I LOVE shopping for babies...I mean..it's a little sick how much I enjoy buying baby things. I think I could just shop and make things for babies and be happy.

So here's the diaper cake without all the receiving blankets and ribbon. The jungle theme is inspired by an Alexander Henry Juicy Jungle print blanket I saw on Etsy. I used a rolled minky stroller blanket as the core for the first two layers and rolled and wrapped newborn diapers around it. They are so tiny and cute. I thought about putting one on Oskar just for fun. But I didn't. Just ignore that one diaper with the hole cut in the bottom.

I just eyeballed it and didn't bother counting for the 3:2:1 proportion. This is also why I cook, not bake. The top layer is formed around a washcloth set I found at Marshall's. Love that place!
This is what the cake looks like now. It still needs to be smoothed and the rubberbands need to be replaced with ribbon. The animals need to be secured to the cake. And it needs more bows, of course...maybe some tulle on the base.

And guess what I am getting for my birthday? A sewing/embroidery machine! I've been wanting one for a while. Joe was a softie (and maybe a little tipsy from watching college football all day because has a kegerator now...what? It has a stainless steel facade...so that makes it classy, right?) and he ordered it early. I should have it next week so I can turn those plain white onsies into something cute! I saw this onesie dress tutorial and I think I am going to try it. Hmmm...now I need this project table from PB. It will look nice next to the kegerator in our office.

No comments: