Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sew in Love

How's that for a cheesy headline? I was going to go with "I Love My New Brother," but someone would have some 'splain'n to do. But seriously, my new Brother SE-400 arrived yesterday and I went straight to JoAnn to buy embroidery thread and fabric. I have been making burp cloths like a mad woman ever since. They are ridiculously easy to make. Oh wait, I probably shouldn't tell people that in case I ever decide to sell them at boutique prices, which are insane!

I tried out the embroidery feature on my machine, too. I should really read the manual more thoroughly, but luckily, this machine is pretty user friendly and sewing is a bit like riding a bike, or is it a horse? Anyways, I was 1o when I last sewed with my grandmother; and that was nearly 20 years ago in case you are wondering! Geeeeeeeeeeez. Now I feel old.

Here's a little sneak peek at a couple of my creations.


This one (above) is for sweet baby Maia (mycousinamanda's little peanut).

And this one is for my dear friend Kimberly's baby boy who will hopefully make an appearance any time now. Those are his nursery colors. So cute!

Must... go... sew...now.

It calls me.

3 comments:

Kimberly Larsen said...

Ahh I LOVE it! How thoughtful! :)
I am obsessed with all things handmade and monogrammed!
You will have to tell me more about your machine... I am just about ready to break down and buy one myself - especially after spending $40 at EmbroidMe to have TWO things monogrammed.

Heather said...

I cannot tell you how jealous I am! I've been giving my mom such a hard time lately because she never taught me how to sew, and now I'm just dying to learn. And monogramming?? I could die. If I hadn't, you know, quit my job and gone broke, I'd be totally buying a machine.

So I have a project idea if you're up for it... let me know :)

Sarah said...

Kimberly- Joe found a refurbished one on Amazon for a little cheaper than the retail. It's working like a champ. It is so worth it. I can't imagine how crazy I'd be going sewing and monogramming if I had my own kids. I'm glad that I have so many friends with bebes.

Heather- If it is within my capabilities I will definitely do it. I thought about Avery, but I figured she's too big for burp cloths. hehe Just let me know what you have in mind. :)