Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Need a Little Culture?

If you are anything like me, living in the 'burbs leaves something to be desired. For me that is culture. Food, wine, and the arts. I try to get out as much as I can, but it usually takes a call from my super-hip-Dallas-dwelling-foodie friend Kim who has her finger on the pulse of all things on the culture scene. I don't know that I'd ever make it out if it weren't for her invites, and for that I am ever so thankful.

When Kim asked if I'd like to see Henry IV my little English teacher heart went pitter-pat. And a little pre-theatre cocktail and snack at the Screen Door? Heck yes!

To be totally honest, it'd been so long since I last read all the Henrys that I forgot this was the one with Falstaff.

Oh Falstaff.

Falstaff. Falstaff. Falstaff.

How I adore thee and thou deviant ways, Falstaff.

Randy Moore wasn't the actor I envisioned for the portly fellow, but Oh. My. Garsh. He was wonderful. I laughed. I squirmed. I laughed some more. And maybe I cried a little bit, too. (But not like the sleep deprived emotional breakdown the police officer who pulled me over witnessed).

I enjoyed all of the acting and thought it was super cool that a few of the minor roles starred Booker T. kiddos.

The set was interesting and unlike any use of a theatre I'd ever witnessed. It puts the audience in the middle of the action at times. If you go to the website you can see a picture. It looks a bit like a skate park.

You must go see the Dallas Theatre Center's production of Henry IV. Yes, it is Shakespeare. Yes, you will like it. See it for Falstaff. See it for Prince Hal (he was a frat-boy-esque cutie...until he turned into a jerkface and yelled at Falstaff).

Henry IV through Oct. 10 at the Wyly Theatre, 2400 Flora St. $15 to $85. 214-880-0202 www.dallastheatercenter.org

No comments: