Tuesday, October 5, 2010

It's a Problem

Lately I've had to put Tim Gunn--my fabulous sewing machine, on the back burner and it hasn't been easy. I'm up to my eyeballs reading and writing papers for my graduate work (one class in writing Non-Fiction and the other in Modern Astronomy). Throw in teaching research to 10th graders and you will find me clutching my head, rocking to-and-fro and mumbling gibberish before it's all said and done. When I should be reading, or writing, or grading...I have this sick compulsion to stop what I am doing and start a new sewing project.

In fact, I had to drive down to my parents' house to get any school work done. Weekends at the casa are not conducive to study due to football season. Joe watches every dadgummed game that airs like a Vegas bookie. Now I like football, but I only care to watch my teams. Since my Horns are sucking it up this year, I root for the Frogs, too; but beyond that, I don't care.

Anyway, last night I was reading Steven Weinberg's book The First Three Minutes for Astronomy, and I remembered that I purchased several super cute appliques and had not tried them out yet.

Let me show you my stream of consciousness last night: First three minutes.....Hubble constant....light years...elementary particles...hmmm appliques...Kelvins...galaxies...omg the baby seal....must focus...redshifting galaxies...oh! and I have that minky fabric I need to use...hydrogen and helium.

Yes, I was thinking more about Applique Planet more than the origin of our planet. You see? It is a problem.

I really wanted to try out a new applique I bought, and I still had a couple of cloth diapers left for burp cloths. Does it get any cuter than a baby seal? How could I possibly focus on my reading with this little guy begging to be added to a burp cloth?

Oh! I finished the diaper cake. Ta-da! I found that zebra at Pier One and strapped him on there.
Mycousinamanda's baby shower went well. I am so glad I co-hosted with two others. Knowing me, it wouldn't have happened, so it was nice to work as a team to make sure all the bases were covered. Mattito's was the perfect space and so many wonderful people showed up. Let's just say that baby Maia is set when it comes to her wardrobe...though I did notice she only got one pair of shoes. Homegirl is going to need to do some serious shopping if she is going to keep up with her mama.


FallBlog_Page_2(2)

No comments: