Tuesday, March 24, 2009

When it Rains, it Pours

This morning as I drove to work I was fidgeting with my AC and noticed that no matter how high I turned it up, no air was coming out. It seemed to working, the fan just wasn't blowing the air into the car. I am just crossing my fingers that the problem is a fan and not a blown compressor as there is a huge cost difference to replace them.

About 1:30pm I recieved a phone call from Joe in the middle of class. I ignored it, but he called back. I answered and he was only a hair short of hysterical. "You need to come home right now!" After ignoring my first 3 inqueries as to why I needed to come home, he finally managed to explain that he'd let the dogs out when he came home from his dental appointment and Phoebe had gotten into a fire ant mound and "was covered with hundreds of them." He was in the process of getting her in the sink to to hose her off. Of course I was freaking out...little dogs can be sensitive to stinging insects and Phoebe barely weighs 4 lbs. I figured I'd wait for him to call back and let me know more information. When he didn't I got someone to cover my class and rushed home. Phoebe seemed fine...a little shaken, but I would be too if my dad was freaking out. She had some redness and swelling under her eyes, but otherwise seemed to be normal. I called the vet to check on Benadryl dosages just in case. She seems to be fine, but it sure was scarey. I ended up going back to work since Joe could watch her until I got home. Stupid fire ants! Joe had poisoned the mound on Sunday, but it did not kill them.

1 comment:

Kiki said...

Poisoning was just enough to make them mad, it seems. I have very unattractive ant bites on my ankle from yard work last weekend. I think I was lucky not to get more. The critters can swarm pretty quickly!