Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Somebody Call an Exorcist

Well, after dinner last night Joe sat down to watch stupid "24" episodes (he's on a kick) and being completely uninterested, I decided to curl up in the guest room where the light is good with Pheebs, and put a dent in my reading assignment.

It was a little difficult to transition from Harper Lee's style (we're reading To Kill a Mockingbird in class) to McCarthy's style, which is concise and lacks punctuation in dialogue. However, once I got over the bleakness of the landscape and into the characters, I couldn't put the stupid book down. I was possessed by some unseen force to read to an ungodly hour of the morning (for a work night).

I only stopped twice the whole night for a restroom break and to tell Joe goodnight. I stayed up and read the whole danged book...save 20 or so pages. Even my iPhone, close at hand wasn't able to distract me, rather I used it as a tool to look up possible mythological and biblical allusions. See, I'm not well versed in either, so unless they are super obvious, I have to do a little research if I suspect something. I should probably do a better job educating myself on both so I don't miss anything.

Anywhosies, one thing that irked me about my pristine library book was that I couldn't make notes in it as I read. I'm going to have to make a trip to Half Price Books soon so I can do this with the remaining books. And, as if my zeal couldn't possibly get any more annoying...I searched for discussion questions today on my conference (after finishing the last 20 pages when my students were reading silently) and found some good ones on Oprah's Book Club site. Still, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the book and I think I'm going to need to let it stew before I make any judgements.

Joe has a copy of the movie version of"The Road." Honestly, I am not as enthusiastic about watching it as reading the book. It was pretty dreary. Maybe I'll watch it this summer to refresh my memory when the class is in session.

One down, two to go! I'd better save some reading for TAKS week.

"The power of Christ compels you to put down the book and go to sleep, my child."

No comments: