Monday, March 15, 2010

Spring Break Part 1

We're off to a great start! Yesterday Joe and I went to Cafe Brazil in Deep Ellum for brunch (breakfast rellenos & sweet potato hash...yum!!) and then headed over to the Dallas Farmer's Market to stock up on fresh produce. This has become a Sunday ritual that I thoroughly enjoy..and I am pretty sure Joe does too. It was a gorgeous spring afternoon with the flowering trees in full bloom and the market buzzing with people.
I have to give a shout out to Savoy Sorbet, a local vendor. Linn, the proprietor, wouldn't let us pass her booth without trying her sorbet. We tried the Mojito flavor, and as a mojito aficionado, I was super skeptical about how good it would be. Oh.my.gosh. It was soooo good. Just like the best real, fresh, no-artificial-flavor-minty-limey-mojito I've ever had...minus the rum. I got a little 4 oz cup to enjoy while strolling through the Market. Very refreshing!

I discovered that Central Market sells Savoy Sorbet. It will have to tide me over until Cuba Libre reopens (if they ever do). Though La Duni on McKinney St. has excellent mojitos, too, they are $10 a piece...ouch! Sorbet it is!

All that mojito sensory experience really made me nostalgic for Key West. sigh.

Today my organizing fiend of a co-worker, Heather, inspired me to do a little organizing. She's in the midst of a 30(ish) Day Organizing Challenge and is kicking arse. I opened my pantry today after shopping and decided that I needed to do a little rearranging and culling myself. I threw away all of the really unhealthy stuff (Honey Combs Cereal? Really, Joe? I mean, how old are we? LOL). Yeah, so he's probably going to be pissed when he gets over the shock of my organizational whim and discovers that I tossed his crap-tastic cereal.

PANTRY BEFORE :(


PANTRY AFTER :)

Maybe I'll get ambitious and take on another organizing challenge. There's an under cabinet disaster area needing major attention. It's under the junk drawer...and it's like the junk drawer overflowed to the cabinet below it. Company coming and need to clear random clutter off of the counter? Mmmhmm... it ends up there. I think I'll have to get some baskets to contain the random stuff. Sounds like I need to make another Hobby Lobby run.

2 comments:

Kimberly Larsen said...

Yay for organizing! You know what I discovered is AWESOME in a pantry? An over the door shoe rack (the kind with the plastic, clear shoe sleeves) It hangs on the inside of my pantry door and is the perfect spot for cookie cutters, sprinkles, individual packets of tea, etc etc etc. And because the pockets are clear, you can quickly see where all those little things are. I just might blog about it one day - I don't know if I dreamed up the idea on my own or saw it somewhere, but it is so nifty!

Sarah said...

Great idea!