Monday, April 19, 2010

Grody

This is just plain goss and I am only posting this so all you front loading washing machine owners have a heads up.
Joe and I have been cursing our GE front loading washing machine for several months now. It would shut off in mid cycle, leaving a lovely, water-logged heap of half-washed laundry. How can this be, we wondered. This is a relatively new machine. We'd bought it new when we moved in nearly 5 years ago.

Last week we detected a foul odor emanating from the washer. Actually, foul doesn't even begin to describe it. It smelled like strait up sewage. Joe thought maybe running a cycle of vinegar through would do the trick, and it did.

Well yesterday afternoon I was waiting for a load to finish washing. I waited...and waited...and waited. The cycle had stopped. Finally after several attempts to restart the machine and realizing that it wasn't draining, I went to Fixya.com and did a little trouble shooting. I wasn't about to pay someone to fix my shiz! Good ol' Google.

Turns out there's a lint trap to clean out. No mention of this in the manual. For the past 4 years we've never cleaned out the lint trap, which you need a screwdriver to remove 3 screws from the front of the washing machine to access, by the way. You'd think that if there were something needing regular cleaning, they'd make it a bit easier to get to!

It was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen/smelled. Thank goodness I have Joe to do the dirty work. No wonder our washer wasn't draining properly!



After reading the help threads about how much money people had reclaimed, I was a little disappointed all we got back was a measly thirty-five cents, a massive lint ball, pine needles, twigs, a candy wrapper, military rank patch, and a ball point pen cartridge.

What we thought was a computer fault in the washer was as due to a maintenance issue all along. Gee, I wish there was something in the Owner's Manual about a lint trap that needed periodic training. So, if you have a front loader, you may want to check and see if lint trap cleaning is needed. Sorry for the nasty picture. I tried to make it smaller. ;)

1 comment:

Kara said...

we've had a front loader for two years, and i've never heard of a lint trap! i'll have to do research and see if ours has one. lord have mercy...it's gonna be gross if we do!