Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tuesday's Wednesday's List


My top 10 favorite movies in no particular order.

Cool Hand Luke

That devious smile, those twinkling eyes, Paul Newman with no shirt. Not to mention the best catch phrase evah- “What we have here…is failure to communicate.” I’m going to try it out on my most obnoxious, defiant student. Wait…does that mean I’m the warden? Of course I am! Where are my aviators and shotgun? Ok, no shotgun. That would be highly inappropriate. Please don't alert the authorities. I was only kidding.

Roman Holiday

In my head, it goes like this: Atticus Finch, fed up with the backwards South, turns reporter and defects to Rome and falls in love with Princess Audrey Hepburn…sigh. Gregory Peck will always be Atticus Finch to me. Maybe because I’ve watched the TKAM movie 6 times per year for the last 6 years.

Funny Face

I love your funny face. Your sunny, funny face! And I love this movie…singing, dancing, fashion, emphaticalism, Paris, Fred Astaire, Audrey Hepburn…what more can I say?

13 Going on 30

Such a sweet Jennifer Garner movie….and it has a Thriller dance sequence. Score!

Juno

It’s funky and campy and added a ton of new quotable quotes to our lexicon. Goofy teen gets knocked up and has to make a tough decision. I cry for her and Jennifer Garner’s character every. time.

Sweet Home Alabama

I will watch this movie any time and from any point I happen to turn it on. I love love love this movie and Reese Witherspoon in this role.

An Education

A recent addition to my list of favs. If you haven’t seen it, you must. A British prep school girl with high academic aspirations (Carey Mulligan) is wooed by a wealthy and sophisticated older man, played by Peter Saarrrrrrsgaarrrrrrrrrd. I can't help but say his name like a pirate. I blame SNL.

Little Miss Sunshine

The characters are so real to me. Maybe not so much the plot, like stuffing dead gramps in the back of the van, but the characters are real. It makes me laugh, it makes me cry, it makes me cringe, it gets "Super Freak" stuck in my head.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

I think Kate and Matthew have great on-screen chemistry. Mmmmm Matthew McConaughey. Have I told you I was only a stone’s throw away from him one time at a UT game? It was glorious. Never mind his newborn son and baby mama were right next to him and that I wanted to Photoshop my head onto her body in the photo I took. (And I have to agree, Heather. That yellow dress is perfection on Kate! It kinda makes me want smaller boobs...well smaller everything for that matter.)

Grease

More dancing…more singing. John Travolta’s dimples, especially the one in his chin (it's no coincidence Joe has a dimple in his chin). It's Travolta as I would like to remember him for all time. (At the beginning of the movie, the morning of the first day, when Danny turns to the camera and grins. Yeah, that scene…it sets my heart aflutter). Who cares if 90% of the characters look far too old to be high school students? Who cares if Sandy is corrupted and crosses over to the “pink side” for a boy? Nobody wants to watch a movie about Patty Simcox’s irritating goody-goody arse!

And of these ten movies, Joe would actually sit down and watch, well, none of them with me. It probably doesn't help that I am salivating over the leading actor in many of them.

No comments: