Sunday, January 9, 2011

Brownstone

As a diehard Top Chef fan, I felt it was my duty to try out Chef Casey Thompson's new Ft.Worth restaurant, Brownstone.  Chef Thompson has always been a favorite of mine, as we are about the same age and from the same area.  

Joe and I headed to Ft. Worth's So7 District after New Year's for brunch and again today.

Joe had the Brownstone Special (a brisket and potato hash), and we ordered a side of Homestead grits.  I opted for the bread pudding french toast with eggs and house-cured maple bacon.  The french toast was lightly battered and fried crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  Remember Bennigan's Monte Cristo?   That's what it reminded me of a little (minus all the meat and cheese and powdered sugar).  I probably wouldn't order it again, but I'm glad I tried it. Now, let me tell you what was slapyomama good.  The $5 bottomless mimosas!  They are tasty, and I didn't get a headache...bonus!   The bacon is to-die-for! It is crispy and melty and I could eat a whole plateful.  Joe's brisket hash was also tasty, but it's pretty heavy fare.  I'd have to be very hungry to order it.  My only complaint is that my eggs were undercooked (very runny whites), however, Joe's were perfect.

Today, Joe had a burger and waffle fries.  I didn't try it, but he seemed to enjoy it.  I was going to be good and order an egg white fritata, but the waitress talked me into something sweet, promising me that the flapjacks were the best ever.  I swear, she twisted my arm behind my back and forced them on me  Ok, so I have no self-control when it comes to sweets.  They were light and fluffy and came with a side of honey maple syrup....oh...and bacon and eggs (perfectly cooked this time).  I'd order them again, and recommend them, too.

Both times Joe and I ate bunch at Brownstone, the dining room was only about 30% full.  We were seated right away, and the service was friendly and helpful.  I will be back for dinner!

And here's what I did for the rest of the afternoon.

We have a two hour delay tomorrow...my fav!

No comments: