Sunday, January 16, 2011

Last One

Ruffles are a good way to end my baby-gear-making-bonanza, especially ruffles on the hind end of a onesie for Maia.  I'm getting ready to ship off one last package to Japan.  This will probably be the last time I post crafty pictures for a while.  I think mycousinamanda is being polite in not telling me to stop making crap for her kid.  One day she'll have a boy, and I'll be the crazy auntie giving pink bunny suits for Christmas. Poor kid.
Ruffle butt onesie with handmade reverse applique.

It's not perfect, but not too bad for the first attempt at ruffles.
Delicious ruffles (and true fabric color).

A little chocolate and raspberry number for Valentine's Day!  


One thing I've noticed in my adventures in sewing onesies is that the super soft Carter brand are the hardest to work with.  The organic cotton Faded Glory or Gerber brands are a little more substantial and don't stretch out as much.  You can tell the difference in the pictures.

A week or two ago, I purchased some reverse appliques to try out.  The first attempt didn't go too well, and I ended up making one by hand by following the tutorial on Lil Boo Blue.  Warning:  She's ridiculously talented and beautiful.  Yeah, I'm jealous.  The good thing about her reverse applique tutorials is that you don't need an embroidery machine!  Even though I have one, it's nice not to have to change out all the equipment if I need to sew.
I messed up my first attempt at reverse appliqueing, but I was able to salvage the onesie with a larger  reverse design.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I love every single thing you have made and no way I will ever tell you to stop giving/making my baby girl stuff...unless it is candy! She is lucky to have an Auntie like you.

Kiki said...

Seriously! Who are you? This stuff is amazing!