Monday, January 31, 2011

Smoke

Smoke boasts one of Dallas's best chefs and got a nod in Food and Wine, so Joe and I had to try it out.  Apparently, brunch is our new thing because we've been to Smoke twice...for brunch.  Smoke is situated at the Belmont Hotel overlooking downtown Dallas.  It's quite nice.  I didn't realize such scenic views of Dallas existed.  The chef uses local ingredients, which is always a bonus.

Let me start out by telling you what was great about Smoke:

1. No wait+ hungry Joe= Happy Joe--->Happy Sarah

2. Fun and funky decor...various reclaimed items and staff childhood photos straight outta the 70s & 80s, but not in a Applebee's/TGIFridays 50 pieces of flair-ish kinda way.  More like 2 pieces of flair.

3. Thick cut pork belly bacon...dear Lord.

4. Ricotta blueberry pancakes and vanilla poached apricots with a dollop of heavenly cream.  Liked it so much I ordered it both times.  I should branch out.

5.  The bottomless mimosa...two will do the trick.  The cocktail menu looked impressive as well.  Lots of fresh ingredients.

6. Hominy grits with a hint of something spicy and pickled. Yum.

7. Entertainment:  a chihuahua bolted through the dining room bobbing and weaving under tables, and the staff looked like they were after a greased pig.  They finally captured her when she jumped up in a booth with a family.  It made the dining experience all the more enjoyable.

8. Friendly and attentive service.  Most of the staff are in skinny jeans.  Impressive.  If I worked at Smoke, I couldn't fit into skinny jeans.

9.  Happy families with well-behaved children.  No one likes to eat with heathen children acting a fool or throwing fits.  These families actually talked to their kids and seemed to enjoy their meals, too.  It makes me feel better about the prospect of still enjoying nice meals as a family in public if I ever have kids.  I just hope that I can afford them!
 

Here's what was meh:

1.  Joe ordered the Full Monte (of course).  The steak was overcooked and the biscuits were dry and they were stingy with the gravy. It looked like it sat for too long.  He should have sent it back.

2. Bottomless mimosas are $11.  They are only $5 at Brownstone and no more tasty.

I haven't been to dinner or lunch at Smoke, but if brunch is any indication of the experience, then it will be worth the drive to Oak Cliff.

No comments: