Wednesday, March 16, 2011

C25K Tuesday: Week 2 Day 1

Well well well...we are officially in Week 2 of our Couch to 5K training program!  We're back to running under the cover of darkness.  Nights like these are perfect for running.  Cool enough to make the run pleasant but not so cold my ears start hurting.

This week's sessions will be 5 min. of warm up walking, 20 min. of 90 sec. run/ 2 min. walk intervals  followed by a 5 min. cool down.

The first 90 seconds of running tonight was slightly challenging, but I think it was more because Joe was setting a faster pace after finishing an uphill walk.  I haven't decided if I like ambitious-runner-Joe or not.  I'm like, "let's just stick with the plan, man."  And he's all running a few seconds past the walk command. He's the optimist and I'm the pessimist, which is why he will outlive me---that and he seems to have more will power to push on past the limits.  Well, there's a name for that.  It's called recklessness! No reckless running on my part.  No sir!  I'm sticking to the rules on this one.

It's true that neon makes you look more tan.

On a sad note, we've suffered our second C25K casualty.  My new rad neon socks I bought on sale at Foot Locker (which I mistook for athletic socks when they are actually "fashion" socks) already have a hole.  Two pairs!  I thought perhaps the first time was a fluke.  Now I know it's me.  I need a pedicure.  Apparently, I'm ruining socks with my talon-esque toenail.  Oh darn.  Guess I'll have to squeeze in a pedi this week. :)
Braising fennel.  Yum!

While I'm posting about getting healthy, we are trying out some healthier recipes from this month's Food & Wine Magazine.  Tonight's choice just so happened to be vegetarian.  Roasted Halibut with Wine-Braised Fennel.  I have to say, it was nice. Central Market didn't have halibut yet and said it would be another couple of weeks before they'd get some.  I subbed cod instead.  Not sure if that was a wise choice, but the seafood guy said it was the closest thing they had.  I didn't have to adjust the cooking time, so it was at least similar in that regard.  Also, this was the first time I cooked fennel, and I really enjoyed it.  However, I think I'd love anything that braised in wine.  It left me feeling satisfied, but not stuffed and feeling gross.

We're going to try this one out, too.  Spice-Braised Chicken Legs with Red Wine and Tomato  We bought some farro to try out, so I might cook that with it instead of rice.  Yum!

No comments: