Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Shirataki Greatness!

I found another FABULOUS healthy recipe in Food and Wine that I am filing away as a keeper:

Quick Vietnamese Noodle Soup by Rocco DiSpirito.


Here's why I love it:
  • tons of fresh herby flavor
  • low carb noodles
  • quick and easy to make
  • satisfying
  • an excuse to use extra chopsticks from last sushi take-out
  • an excuse to look at Rocco DiSpirito.  What a hunk!

  • beef
  • Joe liked it... a lot.
I found everything I needed to make this dish at Sprouts, including the Shirataki noodles (in the refrigerated section by the soy products). I'd never heard of nor eaten these splendid noodles before, but I plan to use them as a sub for as many pasta dishes as possible.  3 grams of carbs?  Holy smokes! I'm a believer.

Actually, there was one ingredient Sprouts did not have and that was the beef tenderloin, which I had to buy at Brookshire's.  Doubting my knife skills I sheepishly asked the deli man if he could carpaccio  my tenderloin (yes, I just used carpaccio as a verb) using some of their fancy slicing machinery, but alas, my hunch was correct---raw meat is a no-go.  But I managed to get a pretty decent thin slice without totally mangling the tenderloin.

If you like beef carpaccio, then you will like this dish.  If raw beef scares you, just ladle the broth over the beef, and your problem is solved. It's lovely because the beef is so tender. 

My mouth is watering just thinking about this dish.

I love it when healthy food is delicious.

No comments: