Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Couch to 5K Challenge: Day 1

Okay, so part of my New Year’s Resolution for the last year of my roaring twenties was to work on getting in shape.  So far I’ve not made any progress; unless you count chasing Oscar around the yard. I kept telling myself to get a gym membership, but all the gyms nearby are kinda janky and crowded.  I don’t like working out with grunting meatheads. It’s just awkward.  While I’m trying to watch Oprah on the treadmill and tune out the guttural noises coming from the weight bench...it is just distracting, and I don’t need another distraction on the treadmill. That could end badly.

One of my co-workers mentioned a training program called From Couch to 5K.  I’ve started many an ill-fated 5K training programs, so I’ll see how this goes.  I’ve enlisted Joe to train with me, and we’ve got the schedule worked in to fit our school schedule.  Here’s the link if you want to take a gander.

Today is Week 1: Day 1.

Joe is coming off the GMAT and I off of proctoring TAKS.  As much as we will probably want to melt into the couch and open a bottle of vino, it’s really important that we set off in the right foot.  Look for updates on our progress.  We both HATE running.  This could be bad.

***Update***

Big surprise, Joe bailed on me tonight. But I couldn't flake out on my very first day, especially after I wrote a blog about it! I hit the pavement about 10:00 this evening for 5 minutes of brisk walking, 2 minutes of jogging, and another 5 minutes of walking. It wasn't bad at all.  In fact, it was so chilly that I really felt that I could have done more running.  I'm going to stick with the schedule though. Don't want to get burned out.  Tomorrow is a rest day, then I'll be back at it on Friday. Stay tuned.

No comments: