Tuesday, March 29, 2011

C25K: Week 4 Day 1: Man Down!

Tonight was the first day of week 4 of the Couch 2 5K program, and I ran alone.  I'm not going to lie. It sucked.

Joe was unable to run tonight.  He had to make an emergency trip to the opthamologist to get something in his eye removed.  Turned out he had metal shavings embedded in his eyeball. Nice.  The doctor bandaged up his eye, and my poor husband had to drive home from Ft. Worth in the rain with one good eye.  Naturally, his good eye is strained from working double duty, and he wasn't up for running.  I told him to go lay down and rest.  He goes back to the doctor tomorrow.  Hopefully he can take that awful bandage off.   The doctor should have given him a leather pirate eye-patch--- much less pitiful than gauze and medical tape.  I told him he can wear a pair of my ridiculously large sunglasses to work tomorrow.  We agreed he'd look like Elton John or Cee Lo Green.

So tonight it was just me and my iTunes. And the drizzle.  And blustery wind.  And my new running shoes!  We hit up Luke's Locker in Ft. Worth this weekend.  The spring had sprung from my old pair of Brooks Ghosts, so I tried some Saucony and New Balance before ultimately sticking with the new Brooks Ghosts.  My mother will be disappointed I didn't buy American (Saucony).  Sorry, Mom. Sorry, America.  Maybe after I log 400-500 miles on these puppies I will give Saucony another try.

Week 4 is definitely the most challenging yet.  I've heard many people quit the C25K program in week 4 or 5 because of the significant increase in the length of the running intervals.

Tonight it was warm up 5.  Run 3 min.  Walk 1:30 min.  Run 5 min. Walk 2:30 and repeat.

I did it without stopping, but it wasn't pretty.  I'm pretty sure I was doing what is called "the Air Force Shuffle" when I happened to be running uphill with the wind in my face for one of those five minute intervals.  Oh well.  Next time will be easier, and I will have Joe with me.  He's a good pacesetter.

Cyclops Joe is no fun.  I need my running partner back.  :(

No comments: